SMUGMUG PHOTOSET – Thanks Dave Zoll!
NEXT UP- LAKEVILLE JV INVITE! THIS SATURDAY!! 9:30 First Race
Hyland Feb 4th
SSC NORDIC SKI
Conference Championships Race 2020
Monday, Jan 27 Wirth Park
Reminders/Notes: This is a 2 – Race day (2 x 5K) with 3 hours between each race- being physically and mentally prepared is very important! Hydrate well continuously for 24 hours before, not in the last 3 hours only; spread it out throughout this time period. Think positive! Anticipate yourself feeling great, having a GREAT DAY! Ready and enthusiastic for your race! Team Spirit!!
PACK the night before (Sunday) DO NOT wait until Monday morning. Include:
- Hearty and satisfying lunch/snacks (you should know what works best for yourself by now)
- Water bottle
- All your ski -related equipment and race-day clothing/uniform
ARRIVE at Kenwood at 6:45am. LOAD Bus and depart at 7:00am
KNOW the course (as the original map shows- see link below). KNOW Your bib number and start time.
9:30 Girls Classic 5k
10:00 Boys Classic 5k
Girls pursuit skate 1:30
Boys pursuit skate
Classic Start: 2 skiers go out every 15 seconds.
Skate Start: “Pursuit” start.
Bus and Team Camp: Buses are not able to park or stay at Wirth. The designated drop off is at the golf club house. Teams will be able to use the Trailhead building to camp and warm up. (bus parking at the beach parking area)
Volunteers: Prior Lake is the official host for this race, but we need all teams to supply a volunteer course monitor and a coach course monitor for this event.
Poles: Skiers classic pole length must be legal for this race and sections. Top of shoulder height (83% height)
Wax: Fluoro wax (expect powders) are legal for conference and section races. (We did this)
Bib Skier Grade
11 Grace Eddy 9
12 Grete Engels 10
13 Brianne Brewster 12 Lakeville
14 Annika Emerson 12
15 Ellyn Engels 8
16 Ella Raiche 8
17 Katherine Moening 11
18 Victoria Johnson 9
19 Elsie Dahnert 9
Bib Skier Grade
11 Ben Drangstveit 12
12 Wyatt Hall 12
13 Hayden Zoll 9
14 Doug Swenson 12
15 Aiden Regan 12 injured
16 Eli Pickit 12
17 Rowan Hall 9
18 Mark Dawson 12
19 Karl David 11
20 Ian Tessier 10
We survived Finals week with a meet and a “dry pocket” snowstorm! Unfortunately,
the Rennet meet was cancelled due to the storm, but plenty of action
ahead this week. Championship Meet season begins this Friday! Read
Thank you to all our Parents who worked as volunteers at our host meet
at Hyland on Tuesday, the 14th! Many positive reviews from our timer
and the other teams- it went great!
Our next HOST meet is THIS FRIDAY, Jan 24th at 4:00pm for the 2020 JV
SSC Conference Championships at Hyland. I encourage JV parents to be
there if possible. Please, help us out if you are able!
Practices/Events this week:
Monday, Jan 20th: Practice at Terrace Oaks West Park, Burnsville
2:30pm. Skate. No classes, no bus. Kenwood will be open all day. Get
in touch with a teammate or teammate family if you need a way to get
Tuesday: Practice at Kenwood regular time. Varsity will wax for
Wednesday meet after skiing. JV will do strength training after
skiing. Varsity strength training after waxing.
Wednesday: Varsity meet at Valleywood. Team Sprints. 3:30pm. Varsity
only Early Release time 1:36pm. Bus at Kenwood at 1:50pm. Load and
leave for Valleywood. JV will practice at Kenwood at 3:15pm Classic,
prep for Conf Championships Classic 5K meet on Friday.
Thursday: Practice at Kenwood regular time. JV will practice Classic
race starts and wax for their Conf Champs race. Varsity will do a
recovery ski workout.
Friday: JV early release at 1:50pm, bus at Kenwood at 2:20pm. JV
Championships Meet at Hyland, Classic 5K. Girls 4:00pm, Boys 4:20pm
Saturday: Varsity Practice at Wirth Park. 9:00am . Details to follow.
Classic and Skate – SSC Varsity Conf Champs preview. Wirth Park may
provide reduced price passes for our team. Waxing at Kenwood in the
afternoon (tentative start time 2:00pm)
Boys and Girls JV Team Sprint results (pending)
NEWS FROM LAST WEEK! We “hit the ground skiing” on the first day back from break last week and followed it up with a second meet 2 days later with great success for our Varsity skiers who raced at the Nation’s largest HS nordic meet- the Giant’s Ridge Invite! Please see our website for the results of both of these meets as well as pictures and picture galleries of the event(s).
Congrats to our first-time classic race Rookies for their finish on Thursday at Valleywood! (Girls) Ella Raiche, Ellyn Engels, Katheryn Moening and Elsie Dahnert. (Boys) Aiden Regan, Matthew Hendricks, Mason Ertel, Sam Rhodes, Pete Rhodes and Ben Baker.
Congrats to the Overall Valleywood 5k Classic Meet Champions- (Girls) Brianne Brewster and (Boys) Hayden Zoll and (Girls) third place overall finisher Grete Engels- we are proud of you! Results
Giant’s Ridge Invite team finishes – Girls were 14th and Boys were 18th overall of the 58 teams represented. Top finishers were: Grete Engels was 18th overall in the girls 5k Classic. Bri Brewster finished 2nd Overall in the Girls 5k Skate. Doug Swenson finished 37th overall in the boys 5k Classic and Hayden Zoll finished 22nd overall in the 5k Skate.
THIS COMING WEEK:
(1) OUR SSC CONFERENCE 5k SKATE MEET SCHEDULED FOR THIS TUESDAY, JAN 7th AT MURPHY-HANREHAN HAS BEEN CHANGED TO THURSDAY JAN 9th AT HYLAND BEGINNING AT 4:00PM (also, since Hyland has a lighted course, we can start the meet later and this reduces time missed at school)
Girls Varsity 4:00
Boys Varsity 4:20
Girls JV 4:30
Boys JV 4:45
Skiers will be released from school on Thursday at 2:15pm on Thursday, Bus at Kenwood at 2:30. HS Skiers will still need to coordinate transportation to Kenwood from the High School.
(2) OUR TRUE TEAM MEET FOR SATURDAY, JAN 11th HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO BE OUR SSC CONFERENCE SPRINT CHAMPIONSHIPS. Race will still be at Valleywood beginning at 9:30am- exact bus times will be announced and posted on our website latewr this week. There will be different start times for Varsity and JV races due to Sprint “heats” needing course space. The meet was changed due to the fact that our SSC Skate meet was moved to Thursday from Tuesday and prevented sufficient recovery time for a pursuit race that was planned with the True Team.
(3) We are entering one of the busiest times of year between skiing and academics. As semester 1 comes to and end and finals approach on Jan 16th and 17th, skiers need to be particulary disciplined with their time use and nutriotn and rest/sleep. Extra free time will be greatly limited over the next 2 weeks and the importance of “planning and preparing ahead” will be critical. Skiers will need our help mom and dads making sure they are not procrastinating work, not eating well or sleeping sufficiently. I have coached skiers for 22 seasons now and although this is a tough stretch in the season, the progress and growth is typically at it’s best for those who take care of planning ahead, please don’t let last-minute “emergencies” due to poor planning or insufficient communication derail your success. Missing practice due to an “emergency” due to lack of planning ahead or communicating is not excused- please avoid creating emergencies for yourself.
(4) Practice on TUESDAY, JAN 7 WILL BE at HYLAND, but we do NOT have a bus. Skiers will need to coordinate getting a ride or sharing a ride to meet there at 3:30 finishing at 5:00pm.
(5) FINAL TURN- INS FOR COUPON CARD IMPACT FUNDRAISER is MONDAY, JAN 6th.Please bring in your collected payments and unsold cards to practice tomorrow to turn in- THANK YOU!
Summary of Week:
Monday: Skate at Kenwood. Strength Training. Impact Card Fundraising final turn-in.
Tuesday: Skate and Classic at Hyland. 3:30-5:00pm.
Wednesday: Skate and Waxing at Kenwwood
Thursday: Skate Meet V and JV and MS at Hyland
Friday: Skate or Classic at Kenwood. Waxing and Team Dimner at Kenwood
Saturday: Meet at Valleywood V and JV