Rich Heilman, Head Coach
Molly Cocheran, Assistant Coach
Jean Engels Assistant Coach
Todd Endersbe, Assistant Coach
Olivia Bagnall, Middle School Head Coach
LAKEVILLE NORDIC! TOGETHER … THE BEST OF THE NORTH AND THE SOUTH!
The Lakeville Nordic Ski Teams are jointly coached and race as ONE! A Co-Op team (between Lakeville North and Lakeville South and Farmington). The Schools share the coaching, the ski trails, trail grooming/equipment, transportation/busing, rental equipment, storage space, wax, waxing equipment, locker rooms, websites and ability-based coaching programs.
WE ARE AN MSHSL SANCTIONED VARSITY SPORT, NOT A CLUB.
All on Minnesota State regulations and management rules apply for this MSHSL Sport. Eligibility and registration required! You must be registered before you can practice.
- MSHSL Waiver
- Emergency Forms
- Participation Fee
(All of these shops honor the Lakeville HS Nordic Team Discount- listed in order of highest recommendation)
- Gear West (Long Lake)
- BNS Boulder Nordic Sport, (St. Louis Park)
- Pioneer Midwest (Maple Grove)
- Finn Sisu (St. Paul)
- Hoigaard’s (St. Louis Park)
- Valley Bike and Ski (Apple Valley)
****For all shops, be sure to mention your with the Lakeville Team!****
- Practice begins at 3:15 p.m. at Kenwood. Check in every day with the team manager or coaches for attendance. We practice Monday through Saturday. Skiers required to be at 5 of 6 practices per week.
Note: If you are not at school by 11 am, you are not eligible to practice or race (State ruling).
- Be sure to always inform the coaches when you will be absent.*
- Practice ends at approx. 5:30 pm. Drop-off and pick up location is always at the “pool -door entrance.”
*ABSENCES ARE EXCUSABLE WITH A PARENT NOTE/DR. NOTE WITH A 24-HOUR NOTICE.
THIS INCLUDES COMING TO PRACTICE LATE OR LEAVING PRACTICE EARLY.
The shuttle bus leaves from Century and McGuire, North HS and South HS daily to Kenwood for practices. See link on menu above. For meets busing, an early shuttle pick-up will be made available to get to Kenwood to get their equipment for the meet. Skiers are required to take the team bus to and/or from the meets. If they are getting a ride from a parent, family member or friend, they must sign waiver of release for transportation before this is allowable.
Your student skier’s checklist
We suggest a three-layer system: a moisture-wicking base layer, a thin fleece mid-layer and a windstopping outer-layer.
- Layer 1- Base Layer:
- Top: Quality is very important. We suggest merino wool, long sleeve
- Bottom: Thermal tights or long underwear. Windbriefs for boys
- Layer 2- Mid-layer:
- Top: light fleece top for extra warmth over base layer.
- Bottom: Mid-layer can be a second pair of thin tights/leggings
- Layer 3- Outer Layer:
- Top: Jacket with wind-block front and breathable back. (Alpine or down coats are too warm)
- Bottom: Ski pants with wind-block front and breathable back
- Head: Hat and/or headband
- Face/Neck: Buff/Balaclava to keep neck + face warm
- Hands: Mittens, lobster gloves or gloves
- Eyes: Sunglasses (no metal!) or Shields
- Feet: Merino wool socks (lightweight to medium weight- thicker can cause sweating and freezing)
- Ski Bag (a must for the bus!)
- Gear bag (any backpack-type bag)
- Waterbottle holder or hydration waistpack
- Ski Ties – Keep skis together
- Dermatone / handwarmers
- Poles: 1 pr. classic, 1 pr. skate OR 1 pr. combi
- Skis: 1 pr. classic, 1 pr. skate OR 1 pr. combi
- Boots: 1 pr. classic, 1 pr. skate OR 1 pr. combi
- Rollerskis (optional helmet, carbide poles tips—we only have a small number of Rollerskis to rent—only for returning skiers, not first year skiers.
Priority to Middle School skiers and Rookies. 75.00 for skis and poles. VERY LIMITED Availability. All skiers will need their own boots. BOOT TYPE MUST MATCH BINDING TYPE OF SKI. If renting, w will need to check the skis that the skier is renting.
FACILITIES- TRAILS and PARK PASSES
We have up to kilometers of trails and fields that we groom for daily training at Kenwood – dependent upon NATURAL SNOW.
We use Three Rivers Park District (TRPD) trails. The TRPD seasonal ski pass can be purchased through the team by Dec 5th for ½ price ($37.50). We can get these for parents and family members of skiers too.
The TRP Ski Pass is good at: Cleary Lake Park, Murphy-Hanrehan Park, Elm Creek Park, Hyland Park, Baker Park, French Park, and a few others. Without a park pass, a $6 0r $9/per day daily fee is charged at the parks for use.
Each student will be given a locker and a padlock to use for the season at Kenwood to store their clothing, etc. We also have a “ski room” where skis can be stored. Please take your equipment home for the weekend to use! Building is not always open on the weekend.
- Come prepared daily! Dress for the weather – follow the weather report, check our team webpage.
- Always keep track of your equipment—label it, take care of it and store it safely.
- Don’t forget to bring your Positive Attitude!
- Always congratulate, praise and support each other and all of your competitors.
- Needless to say, have fun! Keep a sense of humor as you ski and learn to improve.
PARENTS & BOOSTERS: INVOLVEMENT, SUPPORT AND FUNDRAISING
- Winter Ski Trip volunteers
- Fundraising events
- Pasta “Carbo” dinners
- Snacks/treats for meets
- Course grooming/maintenance
- Meet volunteers /timing
- Photos/video for Slideshow
- Return Bus Transportation